Thread: Differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu operating system

Differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu operating system

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 dual booted with Windows Vista on my Sony laptop. I'm planning to install Linux Mint on my machine. But before installing Linux Mint on my machine i would like to know that what is the differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu? Can any body tell me that exact between the both operating system? Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Differences between Linux Mint and Ubuntu operating system

Both Ubuntu and Mint are highly customizable, so it is difficult to point to any one feature that clearly distinguishes one from the other. The included codecs makes Mint easier for new users (in Ubuntu and other distros, they're still not hard) But Mint feels a lot better to me, its lighter and more pleasant, plus it has extras such as Mintconfig.

Ubuntu is a strong desktop distro, but it falls short for some users in a few areas. The Mint menu is more comprehensive, with three panels popping up at once rather than one, as in GNOME Ubuntu, this gives the distro something of a KDE feel. Linux Mint uses the Ubuntu Ubiquity installer. he menu is customizable and can be set up to use a specified number of columns and to show recent documents. Just pop in the live CD, click the Install icon, and walk through a few simple questions, then wait for the installer to work its magic. After a short wait, Mint is installed and you can reboot into a fresh install.

Like Ubuntu, Mint will regularly update itself by downloading updates from the Internet, although the icon for this is for some reason a padlock rather than Ubuntu’s red arrow. Mint, like many distros, also had problems detecting the proper resolution for the laptop. The screen is supposed to run at 1400x1050, but Mint wanted to set the display to 1024x768. I had to hand-edit the xorg.conf file to set the resolution properly. Unlike Ubuntu, the Mint update system includes a ‘safety level’ setting between 1 and 5 for each package, so the user can make their own evaluations of how much each new package will put their currently running system at risk.