Thread: Unable to open regedit

Unable to open regedit

I have installed windows xp on my computer. After updating windows i can't access regedit. When I try to open REGEDIT from start menu a window appears but it will disappear after some time (1 to 2 minute) and also wanted to know how to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP? Please advice, your help is appreciated !

Re: Unable to open regedit

You probably have a virus. You might want to run your latest anti virus software.Quick Heal - Complete Internet Protection With Automatic Virus Removal. Prevents virus infection from Email,Internet,Network,File execution/copying ...

To open REGEDIT, follow following steps Click on Start > Go to 'My Computer'. Double click on the C: drive. > Locate Regedit.exe > Rename Regedit.exe to Regeditnew.exe > after changing the name type the REGEDIT in Run (from start menu) dialog box, it will open the REGEDIT.

• Click the key that you want to assign permissions.
    • On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
    • Click the group or user name that you want to work with.
    • Assign one of the following access levels to the key: Select the Allow check box for Read to give permission to read the key contents, but not save any changes.
    • Select the Allow check box for Full Control to give permission to open, edit, and take ownership of the key.
    • Select the Allow check box for Read to give permission to read the key contents, but not save any changes.
    • Select the Allow check box for Full Control to give permission to open, edit, and take ownership of the key.
    • To grant special permission in the key, click Advanced, and then double-click the user or group that you want to assign special access. Under Permissions, select the Allow or the Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny.