Thread: Unable to initialize the audit trail file Linux Error: 28: No space left on device

Unable to initialize the audit trail file Linux Error: 28: No space left on device

Sql started giving me errors recently, Whenever i start sql on my ubuntu 9.04 i get this error :
    ERROR:
    ORA-09817: Write to audit file failed.
    Linux Error: 28: No space left on device
    ORA-09945: Unable to initialize the audit trail file
    Linux Error: 28: No space left on device
    Can anyone help me what it is regarding? Thanks!

Re: Unable to initialize the audit trail file Linux Error: 28: No space left on device

Sql is not able to access the database due to low disk space on your partition. You need to increase the partition size or delete unnecessary data from the root partition, this might help you free up space and this error may vanish. Although this would be a temporary fix only. You need to get a larger capacity hard disk if you want to continue the use of the sql data base which is going to keep on increasing.

Re: Unable to initialize the audit trail file Linux Error: 28: No space left on device

And how could increase the partition? I don't want to loose my data. So is there a way to increase the partition size without loose data? Please help guys. Also is it possible to delete some other partition and use that space to increase this partition. Is it possible? If any help, do post.

Yeah, its possible, Boot from Ubuntu live CD and go to System Menu > administration > gparted partition editor. Edit the partition as you want to and save changes. Make sure you don't delete the root partition. These changes are not reversible and if you mess the root partition your system will be screwed. So be very careful. All the best!