Thread: Ubuntu based Linux for Older Computers

Ubuntu based Linux for Older Computers

Hi guys, I want some help here from you guys. I have an old computer with 384MB Ram and 40GB hard disk. I want to install a working graphical Linux Operating System on this computer. I would prefer a ubuntu based linux as far as possible. Is there an Ubuntu based Linux for Older Computers which would install on my machine? Please help. Thanks in advance!

Re: Ubuntu based Linux for Older Computers

There are a lot of linux designed and programmed for older and slower computers and netbooks. One of them is Moblin :
    Moblin is an optimized Linux platform that provides a modern, engaging user experience for mobile devices, such as netbooks, MIDs, and IVI systems. Moblin has a common core of Application and User Interface services and APIs, which provide application developers a rich and consistent development environment across multiple device form factors. Download Moblin

Dr. V Guest

Try DSL. Damn Small Linux is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution. Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

• Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
    • Boot from a USB pen drive
    • Boot from within a host operating system
    • Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
    • Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
    • Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
    • Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
    • Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

Download Damn Small Linux

The best i would recommend is Masonux. It is based on ubuntu. Masonux is a graphical computer operating system - an alternative to the modern Ubuntu Linux or the archaic Microsoft Windows operating systems. Masonux is derivative of Ubuntu Linux using the LXDE desktop environment created using remastersys. Masonux contains the following: Ubuntu base/command-line install, LXDE, Firefox, Pidgin, Synaptic Package Manager, ubiquity graphical installer, and remastersys. Download Masonux.

Try Tiny Core Linux. Tiny Core Linux is a very small (10 MB) minimal Linux GUI Desktop. It is based on Linux 2.6 kernel, Busybox, Tiny X, and Fltk. The core runs entirely in ram and boots very quickly. Also offered is Micro Core a 6 MB image that is the console based engine of Tiny Core. CLI versions of Tiny Core's program allows the same functionality of Tiny Core's extensions only starting with a console based system. It is not a complete desktop nor is all hardware completely supported. It represents only the core needed to boot into a very minimal X desktop typically with wired internet access. The user has complete control over which applications and/or additional hardware to have supported, be it for a desktop, a netbook, an appliance, or server, selectable by the user by installing additional applications from online repositories, or easily compiling most anything you desire using tools provided.
    Download Tiny Core.