Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows 7 internal error with 0x80070057

Operating Systems

Old 24-09-2009

Windows 7 internal error with 0x80070057

I am running Windows 7 and I am trying to backup it to a USB hard drive. But I am able to complete the backup process and getting the error message as follows:

Quote:
"An internal error has occurred:
The parameter is incorrect: (0x80070057)"
However this was not the case few days ago. All this started after adding one external hard drive. Can anyone help me to fix 0x80070057 error message?

Old 24-09-2009

Re: Windows 7 internal error with 0x80070057

The registry is at its size limit. During installation, a number of registry keys are created in the following folder: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\dasetup. Some of these resistry keys contain a lot of data. If the registry is at its size limit, these large data entries are not written. To resolve the size limit problem, increase the maximum registry size as follows:

1. In Control Panel, double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Performance Options.
3. Under Virtual memory, click Change.
4. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, change the registry size.
Old 24-09-2009

This kind of problem occurs if you are having bad sectors with your hard drive that you are trying to backup. However, you can try running check disk to check the hard drive. Also try repairing Windows to see if you are getting some error messages. Also if possible try to use some other backup tool to test if backup software isn't causing you the problem.
Old 24-09-2009

According to Microsoft the 0x80070057 error is caused by a bug in File Backup where if you don't back up at least one file during the full backup, every backup after that fails. The workaround is to go through the Backup wizard again and choose a new full file backup at the very end.
Old 10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv View Post
The registry is at its size limit. During installation, a number of registry keys are created in the following folder: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\dasetup. Some of these resistry keys contain a lot of data. If the registry is at its size limit, these large data entries are not written. To resolve the size limit problem, increase the maximum registry size as follows:

1. In Control Panel, double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Performance Options.
3. Under Virtual memory, click Change.
4. In the Virtual Memory dialog box, change the registry size.
I don't get it. I'm a noob on these things.
I only find paging file size in this setting and it is automatically set by windows to 8173MB. Should I change this, and to what?
Old 10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgam View Post
I don't get it. I'm a noob on these things.
I only find paging file size in this setting and it is automatically set by windows to 8173MB. Should I change this, and to what?
What kind of problem exactly are you facing? Why do you need to go in the registry settings and also want to limit the paging file to manual? Can you please describe the type of issue that you are facing in details, so that we can help you out.
Old 10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
What kind of problem exactly are you facing? Why do you need to go in the registry settings and also want to limit the paging file to manual? Can you please describe the type of issue that you are facing in details, so that we can help you out.
I get the error message as the described in the first post. Since this lad seem to have solved his problem by going to the registry I thought I might too. But I don't understand how.

My goal was to set up some auto back up. For now I solves it by manual drag and drop to the external hard drive.
Old 14-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgam View Post
I get the error message as the described in the first post. Since this lad seem to have solved his problem by going to the registry I thought I might too. But I don't understand how.

My goal was to set up some auto back up. For now I solves it by manual drag and drop to the external hard drive.
There is solution to the problem that you are facing by going through registry editor. First click on start and then in search bar type regedit, after that go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > System (Create System by yourself if it's not there) and Add DWORD: CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo and set it's value to 1. After that restart your PC and see if the problem disappeared.
Old 17-07-2012

I am having a similar problem as LORD was having, in the first question, with this error message appearing. I am copying files from my Dell XPS lapotop with i5 processor on to a USB hard drive (not using any back-up software) -

I see several suggestions:
- Increasing the size of the registry
- Repairing Windows (what ever that cryptic remark might mean?)
- Modifying Registry. I'm hesitant to do that.

Which action would be best for my situation. If I have to go into Reg Edit what should be added/changed. It is not clear in Expertz's answer when he says "set value to 1". If I have to do this what exactly should be added - for example - "with quote marks around the words, spaces, and punctuation"
As you can see, I'm hesitant to fiddle with the registry. I have heard horor stories about damaging it.
Thanks, Fred
Old 18-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred4Man View Post
I am having a similar problem as LORD was having, in the first question, with this error message appearing. I am copying files from my Dell XPS lapotop with i5 processor on to a USB hard drive (not using any back-up software) -

I see several suggestions:
- Increasing the size of the registry
- Repairing Windows (what ever that cryptic remark might mean?)
- Modifying Registry. I'm hesitant to do that.

Which action would be best for my situation. If I have to go into Reg Edit what should be added/changed. It is not clear in Expertz's answer when he says "set value to 1". If I have to do this what exactly should be added - for example - "with quote marks around the words, spaces, and punctuation"
As you can see, I'm hesitant to fiddle with the registry. I have heard horor stories about damaging it.
Thanks, Fred
Actuall, "Expertz" has given the path of the registry where you need to go into registry editor and then in the tree list find out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then expand it to find out Software and Policies > Microsoft > Windows. When you expand Windows, check if System is listed, if not then create a new one by right clicking on the box and then Add DWORD: CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo to it, after that right click on it and set its value to 1 and save and restart your pc.
Old 20-07-2012

Yes, Simon gave the path.

So I right click on the words to "set it to 1". I'll try that - Thanks

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,