Thread: Mac File Sharing option disappeared

Mac File Sharing option disappeared

hello, I recently noticed that my windows computer isn't able to open Mac shares which i had setup and was using it before. I did not share any data between the two machines since a month or so, and today when i tried to access my Mac from my PC, it didn't open. So i checked the file sharing option on mac and i noticed that under System Preference > Sharing this option is missing. Mac File Sharing option disappeared. How do i get this option back? Please help.

Re: Mac File Sharing option disappeared

Thats a very strange and unusual problem. I have never seen or heard anything like that before. Also i dont think this is a common problem. What do you suspect must have done this? Did you install any new software which asked for your password? I don't know what can be done in this case. I guess you need to talk to apple people. Call apple and talk to the Apple Expert and lets see what suggestions they give. All the best!

I already called them, and they are giving me the dreaded suggestion to reinstall Mac OS X Leopard all over again. I don't want to do it. I have lot of data and not enough external driver which would be able to back it up. And also i don't have network working else i would backup my data on my Windows PC. Any other solutions? Please help!!

If you manage to get casing for your internal windows hard disk, it can be used as a USB disk. Then take backup of your Mac and reinstall OS X again. I think thats the only option. Also make sure you take backup with Time Machine if you want it to be restored properly. Also first try to check the disk for errors using Disk Utility. All i can say is all the best...