Thread: Ext3 on MacFUSE

Ext3 on MacFUSE

I'm thinking of buying an external drive case for my IDE drive, slurping everything off of there, then reformatting it to use as a backup drive. Was anybody successful in mounting an ext3 partition on a Mac? I tried installing ext2fsx when I try to mount it, it gives me an error saying that the file system is not supported. Can any body tell me that how can i do it? Please provide me your suggestion on the above problem.

Re: Ext3 on MacFUSE

I don't think OS X has native support for ext2/3 file systems. However, i believe that there's a project to port ext3 to Mac OS X. You can check the available file systems under /System/Library/Filesystems.

It is currently impossible to access data on ext3-formatted disks using Macs. fuse-ext2 has binaries available for Mac OS X on their sourceforge download page. When you use bootcamp with windows it is actually harder to stop the UNTITLED NTFS disk from showing up on the mac desktop.

Support for ext3 (with backwards-compatibility with ext2) and preferably also ext4 should be implemented using the MacFUSE project. You have to install macfuse and fuse-ext2, both available from sourceforge. You can mount remote volumes of any description and the connection is totally secure using SSH. the FTP facility in say MacFusion (Menu applet) is way more reliable than the finder function which does the same thing. Mount a remote volume or directory directly into the finder.