Thread: What is SVN ( Subversion )

What is SVN ( Subversion )

Hi,
    Does anyone is familiar with SVN. It stands for Subversion. I am trying to figure out the exact description of this term. I had read some guides on the same. But I am not getting the exact work and use of this term. Can anyone tell me that for what purpose it is used for. I am currently working on Linux tool and came across this. Now I am stuck here. What system does it need to run a SVN server. Please list some simple elaboration on this tool. I am not so much expert in Linux tools. I just need a general overview of it. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is SVN ( Subversion )

It is a open source tool provided by CollabNet. The tool is designed to keep a track of new and older version of file like codes, web sites and other documentations. The main goal behind launching this tool was to make it the most widely used CVS (Concurrent Versions System). This tool is used in many open source applications like Apache, KDE, Pascal, etc.

To run a SVN server you will have to first determine many factors. First comes the number of users who are going to access your network then comes the operational factors like size, the load which is created on the network, etc. If you are using Apache then the server itself is the biggest term in the memory usage. So here you have ensure that there are compatible services running with the SVN server and you should able to determine the amount of memory usage here.

Dr. V Guest

First of all like all Linux tools it is a opens source applications. Technically it is a replacement of CVS in the current situation. Here the common service that uses SVN is Joomla. It uses the SVN respository to store the codes and publish them publicly. By this tool you can recover your old data and analyze the history on data flow. It work across network on multiple operating systems. It is also a type of software configuration management tool which is designed specifically to manage a tree of source code. This tools is equipped with many features.

deanhanson Guest

Hi...
    i read your post...The Subversion filesystem can be described as "three dimensional". In addition to the two dimensions of a standard directory tree...the Subversion filesystem's third dimension is revisions. Each revision in a Subversion filesystem has its own root, which is used to access contents at that revision. Files are stored as links to the most recent change; thus a Subversion repository is quite compact. The storage space used is proportional to the number of changes made, not to the number of revisions.... thanks for sharing the post...