Thread: RAID Level 1

RAID Level 1

Hello , i Would like to opt for Raid , but want to the Benefit of the RAID Level 1 , Before Implementing it, Can you tell me why to Choose RAID Level 1 , What are the Benefits and disadvantages of RAID Level 1 , i just need a raid which can give performance , please help me thanks in advance

Re: RAID Level 1

RAID Level 1 , is to ensure data integrity and it is also possible to continue operations on the other hard drive without any issue. In case of failure of a hard disk, but The performance is not improved in RAID Level 1 You must have at least two hard drives. RAID 1 is more commonly known as "mirroring" because it is a mere copy of the first disk (so for 2 discs of equal size, one obtains a storage space equal to a single disc).

RAID Level 1 is designed to duplicate the information stored on multiple disks, we are thus talking about mirroring or shadowing to describe this process. RAID Level 1 gives greater data security, because if one disk fails, data is stored on another. On the other hand, reading can be much faster when both disks are operating. Finally, since each disk has its own controller, the server can continue to operate in RAID Level 1 even if one disk fails, In return RAID 1 technology is very expensive since only half the storage capacity is actually used.

The advantage of RAID Level 1 is that it manages to avoid failures.the disk operating condition is used to read and write data. The read performance is improved (in proportion to the number of disks and their performance), but as the data is written synchronously on all disks, the write performance does not vary. RAID 1 duplicates the data on all disks. Like RAID 0, RAID 1 requires a minimum of two hard drives to work. The discs have identical content implying a loss of space proportional to the number of disks added. Indeed, if we put 3 drives of 40 GB in RAID 1 then if we write 40 GB on disk 1 then this data will be copied to the other two discs. so We lose 2*40 = 80 GB of disk space on the total capacity of 3 drives (120 GB).