Thread: Can't gain Root access

Can't gain Root access

I installed Ubuntu on my machine and it's working fine. But I am facing a difficulty when i try to log in as root. It keeps saying "invalid password"....can I somehow prevent my personal accounts admin restrictions to reset my root password without going for a re installation of the entire operating system And before anyone starts accusing me of attempting to hack Ubuntu, I'm not...this is a serious issue I'm having.

any ideas>?

Dr. V Guest

Re: Can't gain Root access

May be it is because of there is no root account in Ubuntu, instead you use the sudo command to gain root privilages when issuing commands. The root account can be enabled if you really feel you really need it otherwise use sudo to do things as root in the terminal or specifically open a root terminal from Applications > System Tools > Root Terminal

Have you Did you try to login from the Command Line Interface Still you getting some error ? Can you attempt to login form CUI and then init 5. Many of distros disable root logins by originally. There shouldn't be many explanations to ever have to login as root user since you can use the su command as regular user to access the root rights.

I would assume that I just clicked System/Administration/Users and Groups which, after entering my normal password, enabled me to configure a root account with a fresh password. I can log in as root or myself. sudo works with my password and su uses the root password to run as super user. Definitely use root or su with care