Thread: What is tgz file

What is tgz file

Hi,
    I received a CD from mail which has some presentation files. I opened the same CD in Windows pc. I clicked on the file and Windows gave up a message that there is no appropriate program available to open the file. On searching about the file I found that is a Linux based file. I had a Ubuntu laptop. But I do not how to access the file in the CD. I run the disc in the laptop I did not understand how to view or move files from them. Does there is any easy way to get my files on Windows machine. I had never used Linux so this is really hard. Any suggestion would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is tgz file

It is easy to open the file and then move them by a removable drive to Windows machine. It is kind of compressed file which is created in Windows. The tgz or tar.tgz are almost same. Just type this code in the console to get the files - tar abc file.tar.gz or tar abc file.tgz. You can here also try a some third party tool to decompress the file in GUI mode. Just search on the internet. You will find some zip utility tool.

It a compressed UNIX tar archive that has tgz extension. This file is not identified by Windows. Here a single command will open the file in your Linux machine and then you can move it. Give this command in the current open directory - gzip -dc target.tar.gz | tar xf -. Other wise try zcat target.tar.Z | tar xf -. Second if you are not familiar with the command console then you can try Alpha ZIP. It is simple freeware tool which is used in Linux platfrom to unzip files.

Download and Install IZArc tool. It is a freeware archiving tool that supports a range of compress file formats. The tool works in GUI mode and you can simply explore, create and extract archive directly in Windows Explorer. The tool is also designed to repair damaged files. You can also open CD image files like ISO, BIN, CDI and NRG. Try it out. See the below thread for more details.
    Extract tar files in Linux
    IZArc Tool