Thread: Dell XPS acting weird

Dell XPS acting weird

I am using a dell XPS 1530 on Vista. I had some issues with this and fixed it . Since then,the pc does not turn on every time; i can hear the windows sound just like it is turning on, but screen stays black and nothing happens.Then I should put it off and on several times before it will start up. When it is on and working, every now and then the cursor like spastic.If i navigate, it moves in random directions and opens/closes windows when I don't click anything. can anyone help?

thanks

Re: Dell XPS acting weird

I've seen that thing probably 20 - 30 times on dell xps gaming machines. If I learn your post accurately you taken out a stick of ram, everything worked, and when you put the stick back in nothing worked. Just replace the bad ram stick If that's what you meant.

Ok can you try this I did when i have situation like this sometimes. I solve it with the following steps.
    >press CTRL+ALT+F1
    > Login.
    > sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart && exit.else it could issue with motherboard.Have you tried to contact Dell after board was replaced?

Sounds like the video Graphics card has either gone poor.Have you used any drive cleaner utility, or registry cleaner utility,it may have caused the drivers from the system. I would approach this if you are having the software for that card that's in the computer go for a re installation else contact dell. if the computer is like an ancient one, then there could be possibility of that your card may have gone bad.

Doesn't really seem to be a NVIDIA question since it appears your not even booting at all. Is your hard drive light flashing during boot? Anyway, imagining your not booting.I have seen this many times. it turns out that it is a virus. I believe it is virus. The only solution i could find was to remove the hard drive and scan the drive on a different computer. The only software I have ever used to do this was kaspersky antivirus. You can get the Kasperky trial software and scan with it.