Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009

Drive full but where are the files?

Hello all,

One of my partition which appears empty saying it's full. It's 1.5GB in size with 6.17mb free.However i did not stored any file there .I need to use this space to expand on my system drive with a partition manager.I can't use the partition manager on this logical drive in any way, can't format it, convert it or delete it.Formatting reports it needs to be dismounted but when i choose option to force dismount it says the volume is in use.I have no clue what is actually taking place.please anybody here who know more about this situation

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2009

Re: Drive full but where are the files?

I would think that there are some hidden/system files that are taking up the space.so you have to be ruthless in removing unwanted files.Do you have snaps & music files stored? If so either burn them off to CD/DVD discs or invest in a usb external drive and move them to there. Once you have got them on to a CD delete them to free up space.also uninstall any application you never gonna use .
Old 10-09-2009

Ok I understand the situation Can you do this thing for a trial Win Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View Tab> there you can see three options for hiding the files...Un mark those and now search at the partition and see if you able to view the files.So here is your files if you want to remove them do it and make the space free
Old 10-09-2009

Have a look in Disk cleanup, and see what is there that can be deleted.Your Drive generally is the Recovery Partition, that the vendor put there, for your machine to put it back to factory settings in case of System Crash.It is not for you to store anything to and it is not to compress and/or Index, or have System Restore turned on for it.You may simply need to reformat the drive. If that doesn't solve the problem

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,