Thread: red hat smart daemon or process

red hat smart daemon or process

Hello , i have always been using Windows, now started to linux , i want to about the process in linux , does linux process is called as process or daemon , are process and daemon are different things , i would like to clear my doubt regarding this please help me sort this thing , thanks in advanc

Re: red hat smart daemon or process

process are more organized in hierarchy. Each process must be initiated by another. The latter bears the name of parent or parent process and those initiated on behalf of children or son process. This hierarchy has a root. It is most often on a GNU / Linux init program which is run by the kernel at the end of its initialization and has PID 1. It will then responsible for launching various system services that are called daemons. A daemon is a process that is constantly in operation and provides services to the system or outside. An example is a program for web or FTP server or the one managing the return of sounds.

A daemon is a type of information, program a process that runs in the background rather than under the direct control of a user.

The term daemon seems to be introduced in 1963 by designers CTSS of MIT, in response to the "dragon", a term used by designers of ITS. The retro-acronym Disk And Execution Monitor (monitor disk and execution) has been invented to justify the term daemon after he became popular.

Daemons are often started with loading the operating system, and are generally used to answer queries of the network, handle handle or other programs running certain tasks. Under Microsoft Windows, these functions are performed by programs called "services" although the term "daemon" seems increasingly used.

For simplicity, a daemon is a process. A system process that runs in the background, and has no interaction with the user (logging, printer daemon ...

sendmail is another daemon that require lots of memory. If can be never use on your Linux box to relay to send mail and you never receive mail you can probably remove it. If you send mail from your Linux box, most client software can be configured to post the mail from another server.