Thread: Can i remove Homegroup form Windows 7

Can i remove Homegroup form Windows 7

Hi, as you all might be knowing i am a windows 7 user. When i open My Computer, i can see a section Homegroup in the navigation pane that is of no use for me. So what i want is to remove it form there but while workaround i din't find any option form the same. Do you guys have any idea how can i remove Homegroup from windows 7 ? Help appreciated.

Re: Can i remove Homegroup form Windows 7

Yeah, you can remove it form My Computer easily. Homegroup is not in fact useful the people having a single computer at home. To remove it form your Windows 7 system, just go through this simple steps:-
    • Go to Start and click on Control panel.

• In control panel, click on Network and Internet than HomeGroup and than click on Leave the Homegroup.

• Alternatively, Open My Computer, right click on HomeGroup and select Change HomeGroup settings from the context menu and than Leave the homegroup.

• Once you do this you will be prompted for the confirmation. confirm and click on Finish.

Thats it..

You can also remove Homegroup form Windows 7 by doing a little change in the Registry. To do so, Open the command prompt by typing regedit.msc in the Start > run.

Now locate the following folder:
    Code:
    Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Home Group
    Here you will find the option 'Prevent the computer from joining a homegroup'. Just change it setting and reboot the system and you will be done.

Dr. V Guest

before you disable it make sure that HomeGroup is not shared or hosted, otherwise all HomeGroup connections will be disconnected. Once you turned it off you can disable the services as well.Once you stopped the servicea, double click on the service to open Properties dialog, and set its Startup type to Disabled.