Thread: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems

Hi,, i am a windows xp user. When i am trying to install a bluetooth device on my computer from Add Hardware in the control panel, it gives me error saying,"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems." Its really very annoying for me as i tried doing it for 5 times. Could you guys please help me out for this ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems

Whether your device is Plug and Play or non-Plug and Play, you should follow the device manufacturer's installation instructions to ensure that it functions properly. This may require you to shut down and unplug your computer, and then connect the device to the appropriate port or insert it into the appropriate slot.

If the device does not automatically work, it is non-Plug and Play, or it is a necessary startup device like the hard disk, you may have to restart your computer. Windows then attempts to detect your new device.

If Windows does not successfully find your new hardware, you must use the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel to tell Windows what type of device you are installing. The Add Hardware Wizard may ask you to insert media (such as a compact disc or floppy disk) if any were provided with the device. The Add Hardware Wizard is primarily used for installing non-Plug and Play devices.

To start troubleshooting, follow these steps.Make sure that Device Manager is open, and that the device that has the problem is selected. You can perform some recommended resolutions through Device Manager.

• Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    • Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    • Double-click the device type that has the problem. For example, if you have problems with your modem, double-click Modems to see the devices in that category.
    • A list of devices appears. If a device has problems, the device has a red exclamation point next to it. If a device is unknown (usually because of missing drivers), the device has a yellow question mark next to it.
    • Right-click the device that has the problem, and then click Properties. This opens the device Properties dialog box. You can see the error code in the Device status area of this dialog box.

Windows installs a Plug and Play device and its driver automatically. If you choose to install an older driver or hardware device, however, you may have limited Plug and Play support or none at all.

Using a Plug and Play driver with a non-Plug and Play device may provide some Plug and Play support. Although the system cannot recognize the hardware and load the appropriate drivers on its own, Plug and Play can oversee the installation by allocating resources, interacting with Power Options in Control Panel, and recording any issues in the Event Log.

Generally, you cannot install non-Plug and Play hardware without performing some manual setup. Use the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel or Device Manager to change the settings for these older devices.

Before uninstalling a Plug and Play device, you must use Device Manager to notify Windows that you want to remove the device. Once you notify Windows, the drivers for the device are no longer loaded when you start your computer.

Use the Troubleshooting Wizard, if it is available, to help you diagnose and resolve your problem:-
    • On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
    • Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide. If the Troubleshooting Wizard is not available, go to step 3.
    • Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.
    • Check the Device status area of the device Properties dialog box to see whether the error is resolved. If the error is resolved, you are finished.