Thread: Minimum Services Required for XP

Minimum Services Required for XP

Heya,
    We are working with number of computers at home and all of them installed windows XP.I have discovered they are slow down over time there are many extra things which i think the services and stuff running on them and I know which are causing so. I wish to allow them run just the minimum services and applications we just required is to work Internet explorer over a shared internet connection, and MS Office.can somebody provide a list of required services

thanks for any suggestions..

Re: Minimum Services Required for XP

On your Services and Applications, click on Services, then on the Status column header to list all the "Started" services together. Now for each, turn off those you noticed.Run a start up monitoring utility like autoruns from sysinternals and probe each of the items listed as being begun automatically when the computer boots or when I log in. There are several that you can put off,Start up Applications List is a handy reference approximately to 7500 definitions.

Programs that start automatically at start up. Again, some of which are selective, some of which are not, all depending on your machine and requirement.Open the 'System Properties' to see the 'Advanced' tab and select the 'Performance Settings' now click radio button for 'adjust for best performance.From there you can check the boxes of performance features that you don't want to neglect.I have found this way to free up a lot of resource and in turn power.

Services have inter-dependencies, so it's not an simple task to set up. Also, adding hardware can make services that won't show up in a normal session. Before you alter anything make a system backup. Also, after changing a Service state - check Event Viewer to confirm no Errors have happened from the change.I would tell you you to leave the services alone. Most users reporting of unexpected issues after messing around with the services.