Thread: Increase the Minimum Virtual Memory in Windows XP

Increase the Minimum Virtual Memory in Windows XP

Hello Guys,

I've had gone through many articles to find out how to Increase the Minimum Virtual Memory in Windows XP many of them explains "Paging file size for selected drive" via Customizing the size for Initial & Maximum.But even after alternating this, i still getting the previous Minimum allowed: of 2MB from the "Total paging file size for all drives" info.Please tell me how could i change this ?

Re: Increase the Minimum Virtual Memory in Windows XP

Basically Virtual memory is the memory other than the RAM which system is supposed to use when it run out of available ram.It is fact if you give pre-defined size then it is better than system handled.when your ram is 512 MB then you can give minimum as 1000MB ie. which must be around twice of RAM and maximum 1500 Mb..Though its better to have both same

I am asking you why you adding this much tension by your self.Why not just let XP handle the swap file and expand or shrink it as demand need? There's no real performance advantage to be had from configuring some minimum and maximum value, so why freaking your head repeatedly trying to get things to work like you want?

When Windows is configured, it makes a virtual memory file on the hard drive. When the computer runs out of RAM it utilizes the hard drive as extra memory, with the appropriate slow-down in performance.Now coming to your case there lies to be some kind of bug in the installer for that program. I'm thinking it's for a rather old program,Just try with XP's compatibility mode while installing. alternatively look for an updated version of the software