Thread: Windows 7 DVD FATAL BOOT ERROR - Code: 5

Windows 7 DVD FATAL BOOT ERROR - Code: 5

Recently I made a copy of Windows 7 by downloading the public beta iso file and burned it on my dvd-rw through my old computer and all of a sudden I got an error code: [Windows 7 DVD FATAL BOOT ERROR] CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5. I redownloaded and tried to burn the iso on my dvd-rw again but got the same error, so can anyone tell me if it is a hardware issue or something else?

Re: Windows 7 DVD FATAL BOOT ERROR - Code: 5

1. Download Vista SP1/2008 x64 ISO from MSDN, orgrab your CD
    2. Create 3 folders c:\efi-iso c:\efi-exe c:\efi-dvd
    3. Download oscdimg.exe from here into c:\efi-exe
    4. Extract iso using 7Zip or WinRAR (Or copy the contents of the DVD) into c:\efi-dvd
    5. Start up a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    6. Type: cd c:\efi-exe
    7. Type: oscdimg -n -m -bc:\efi-dvd\boot\etfsboot.com c:\efi-dvd c:\efi-iso\server2008dvd.iso"

This problem occurs because the ETFSBOOT.COM program does not handle file versions according to the International Standards Organization (ISO) 9660 specification.

Note: The ETFSBOOT.COM program creates the CD boot sector.

The ISO 9660 specification instructs that a name for a file record should consist of the file name that is followed by the file version. Also, the specification instructs that you must separate the file name and the file version by a semicolon. For example, the following file record is valid:

FileName 1

The Windows PE file system driver handles the file version as an option. However, the ETFSBOOT.COM program cannot locate the Setupldr.bin/Bootmgr file if you use a file version.

Note The CDimage.exe program does not append a file version to a file name in a file record.

Therefore, if you use a program other than CDimage.exe or OSCDimg.exe to create the CDFS image file, the computer does not start from the image.

Therefore follow the above steps given by expertz
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

it sounds as if the dvd rom you have has lost or corrupted the ISO image which is what allows the install of the operating system. without an ISO image the cd will be un-bootable.

trust me, this has happened to me.
    Refer to some suggestions given at Error message "Cannot boot from Cd " in Windows 7 which might help you.

I found an easier way to get around the error 5 unable to boot cd issue for windows 7 install dvd.

If you are running Windows xp, restart your computer and press F8 boot menu,
    then select safe mode with command promp, type D: or whatever your disc drive letter is and press enter, then type setup and press enter and then click install when the cd page comes up. then just let it install.
    It will take awhile and it'll look like it's not installing but it is.
    I just finished my install and works great.

I had tried other ways to install Win7 and none of them were very easy or actually worked for me.

smile Re: Windows 7 DVD FATAL BOOT ERROR - Code: 5

Guys i have the coorect solution for u r problems i can bet that u have DVD-Rom not the DVD-RAM apply dvd writer and then booot u will be ablle to install windows 7..but one request if u install windows after see my mesage thn plzzz post comment on me!!1