Thread: Windows does not recognize any digital signature certificates.

Exclamation Windows does not recognize any digital signature certificates.

It seems that Windows has stopped recognizing the digital signature certificates of any application on my computer.

The digital signature certificates can however be viewed by right-clicking any signed application installer then selecting 'Properties' and clicking the 'Digital Signatures' tab.

However, when these installers are run--they display 'Unknown Publisher' for the 'Publisher' item. This causes issues with other applications that download and install updates, they usually exit with an "files not signed" error.

I have earlier stopped some of the 'Windows Services' through the 'Administrative Tools' section. However, not sure which service is to be restarted to get the digital signature certificates working again.

Please inform about what needs to be changed?

Thanks.

Re: Windows does not recognize any digital signature certificates.

Re: Windows does not recognize any digital signature certificates.

The issues mentioned in these posts are different from what I am facing on this computer. This is an Windows XP with SP3 installed. There are no errors while downloading executable files, it however seems that Windows is unable to recognize the digital signature--when the application is run.

I have checked all the running services--the service that is most likely involved in digital authentication "Cryptographic Services" is started and on automatic mode. What other service is likely to be involved in authenticating digital signatures?

It is causing problems with some of the applications--the firewall software Comodo installed on this computer downloads updates from the server and installs them, however lately it stops downloading gives an error that the downloaded files are not digitally signed.