Thread: What needs to do to Run Ubuntu on Dell m70

What needs to do to Run Ubuntu on Dell m70

I have a Dell Precision M70 laptop and have been wanting to configure a dual boot with Ubuntu and my current XP Pro Operating System for some time now. How does the card reader Work ? Light ( wi-fi, hd...) ? This is because I'm new to Linux, I've been hesitant to install Ubuntu alongside XP Pro, knowing the problems I've read about changing the configuration of factory installed Dell systems. What battery life with office to use ? Especially creating a new partition for Ubuntu while still keeping the Windows NTFS partition with limited BIOS functionality.

Re: What needs to do to Run Ubuntu on Dell m70

First make a back of your valuable data. After you can start the install of ubuntu. It worked straight forward for me. Now i have a triple boot XP/FEISTY/GUTSY. but this is an Ubuntu problem as eveidenced by the large number of posts (with no very good answers) on the subject since 2006-2008.

I'll try a couple tweaks and the new .iso from the dell site (top of this thread) and see if I can get it to survive. Backup important data or watch a DVD with the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive! Connect to the Internet in various ways with the integrated 56k modem, Gigabit Ethernet controller, and Wireless-G WiFi! Experience professional quality.

One of my hesitations has to do with my NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 video adaptor. From reading some of the posts on the forum, there are some drivers that have to be installed. I'll try a couple tweaks and the new .iso from the dell site (top of this thread) and see if I can get it to survive. In fact, it's quittin' time I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not very good at installing or updating drivers. But I guess the only way to learn is to try.