Thread: What is the system requirement for Linux KVM

What is the system requirement for Linux KVM

Hi,
    I am planing to build up my own Linux KVM machine. I need some general information on the software and the system requirement for this. I already has a IntelC2D processor with 4 gigs of RAM. Now before getting the application I want entire details on it. I know that Linux KVM does not run on all traditional processors. What hard ware does it support. Any suggestions really appreciated.

Dr. V Guest

Re: What is the system requirement for Linux KVM

KVM stands for Kernel-based Virtual Machine which means a full virtualization solution. This is for Linux which is working on x86 hardware that has extension related to virtualization. The virtualization extensions means tat your processor be a Intel VT type or AMD V type. V stands for virtualization support. Because it will not work on all traditional pc. The software has a loadable kernel module. This loadable kernel module (kvm.ko) gives the main virtualization infrastructure and the also the processor a specific module which is not available on regular processors. It also needs a modified QEMU.

Linux KVM is a open source freeware software. But to make your own Virtual machine you will need to add up some special hardware to it. The main requirement for your KVM machine is first the kvm-release.tar.gz file. It is the loading file of applicaton. Then a VT type Intel processor. You can also put a SVM capable AMD CPU. Then the other important thing is QEMU prerequisite. That must incluse zlib, sdl, alsa, gnutls and kernel headers. Read on the official site for more detailed information.

You can use a Pentium D type processor for your Linux KVM machine. The processor comes in series of dual core 64 bit x86 CPU. Here a x86 machine is a must to run the recent Linux Kernel especially on Intel. Then you need a VT i.e virtualization technology otherwise you cannot work on it. Even AMD offers processor with SVM support that will work too. 64 bit processor to some extent supports KVM.