Thread: Grub2 on OpenSUSE?

Grub2 on OpenSUSE?

I have managed to get a second linux box so i can download and get my hands on with the beta and alpha releases of different operating systems. I have OpenSUSE installed on it by the one i took this computer from. Now i installed Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala. But it seems to have some problem with suse, so i installed Grub1 back from suse live CD, now the Karmic Koala doesn't boot. Whats going on?? Grub2 on OpenSUSE faces compatibility issues?

Re: Grub2 on OpenSUSE?

First you have OpenSuse installed on your system and then you install Karmic Koala. Right? This automatically adds Grub2 on your MBR. This is an obvious part that Grub2 will take over. Now what problems are you facing? Is it not allowing to boot into OpenSuse? Well i dont think it should be happening this way, but its still an alpha release so may happen. Did you try to edit grub2 settings so that you can get OpenSuse to load?

Thats exactly what i thought, upgraded version has downward compatibility but something is wrong, may be its a bug. I did not try anything else except changing the boot loader. I will go ahead will some R n D of my one, as this is a testing machine, that this will give me hands on practice too. But, is there a way of making these two systems works perfectly as dual boot? I hope there is. If anyone else has encountered same thing and found a solution to post... Thanks!

I would suggest you this : If you want to boot both the machines from Grub2, i have no idea about that, but you can use Grub1 to boot karmic koala. Open menu.lst file from "/boot/grub" directory and see what option it has for karmic koala to boot into normal mode. Then save this option in a text file which can be accessed from OpenSuse. Now install Grub1 form OpenSuse CD and edit its menu.lst file and add the boot option of karmic koala from the text file. This will get you to boot both OSes.