Thread: Triple Boot System with two linux

Triple Boot System with two linux

I have a linux box with ubuntu 9.04 currently installed and running. I want to create a Triple Boot System with two linux : Ubuntu 9.04, Windows 7 and OpenSUSE 11.1. Well i'm not familiar with such system setups, can anyone help me in setting up this system properly without wrecking my data? Thanks in advance...

Re: Triple Boot System with two linux

What do you mean by "wrecking my data"? Will you be doing this setup on a hard disk that has data on it? Well i would suggest you to take the backup of all your data before starting this setup. You want to install three operating system, so you will need three partitions which must be dedicated to the OS itself. Then you will need two more partition for swap for both the linux. So make sure you have a larger hard disk with enough space on it. Then install the OS one by one on different partitions.

Hard disk space is not an issue as i have 2 hard disks of 500 Gigs each. I have important data like videos and images of friends and family collected over years now and i don't want to loose it. I have dedicated one hard disk of 500GB for the OS and the other 500GB hard disk for my data, softwares, games and multimedia stuffs. Now i want help in configuring the system. Would it be easy? Please guide...

In this case there is no question of loosing any data. But to be sure, disconnect the hard disk which has your data onto it. Now Start with installing Windows 7. Create 5 different partitions. First three partitions for the OS and the last two for swap for each linux [swap partitions could be on just 1 or 2 GB]. Now Install Windows 7 on first one. Once that is done, Install Linux [any one, here i assume suse first]. Select the second partition to format and in the mount point select "/" and select the smaller patition as swap. Now once this is done. Go for other linux that is Ubuntu. Install it the same way you did for suse, just select the third partition and "/" as mount point and last partition for swap. Done.!