Thread: Install OpenSUSE 11.1 on an old PC

Install OpenSUSE 11.1 on an old PC

Hello Guys, I have downloaded OpenSUSE 11.1 and i am trying to install it but i have some troubles with it. Everytime the installation completes and reboots, Before setting up username and password, the screen lands me into a GUI mode and i don't know what to do there. I tried installing OpenSUSE from scratch and it is the only OS i am using, but still cannot figure out what is wrong. I need help to Install OpenSUSE 11.1 on an old PC

Re: Install OpenSUSE 11.1 on an old PC

First of all - How would you describe your old PC as? I mean what is the machines configuration? Second - Did you verify the MD5 checksum when you downloaded the ISO of the OpenSUSE? I think the ISO is corrupt and you may need to download it again. If it is not corrupt, Check the CD for errors. That may help you too. Lastly Can you boot into GUI from command prompt? Can you start the KDE desktop from the CLI prompt you get? I hope this may help you. Post back.

The old computer of mine is too old. Its a Pentium 4 PC with 1.7 Ghz Processor, 128 MB RAM, 40GB Hard Disk and DVD-RW. Yes, i did a MD5 check with the ISO i downloaded and the MD5 sum mentioned for the ISO on their website. Also I checked the disk for errors but found none. The problem is everytime i install OpenSUSE, i end up in landing at this Command Line Screen. I am not too geek in launching KDE from CLI mode, I don't know how to do it. May be its some other problem. But any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The only problem i can guess is that, your system configurations are not upto the standard required by OpenSUSE to run smoothly. Only KDE requires upto 190MB or RAM System Requirements for OpenSUSE 11.1 is af follows :
    • Processor : Intel: Pentium 1-4, Xeon or newer; AMD: Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon MP, Athlon 64, Sempron, Opteron or newer
    • Main memory : At least 256 MB; 512 MB recommended
    • Hard disk : At least 500 MB for minimal system; 2.5 GB recommended for standard system
    • Sound and graphics cards: Supports most modern sound and graphics cards

Either upgrade your system or use an older version of OpenSUSE.