Thread: Support for Wireless N in Ubuntu?

Support for Wireless N in Ubuntu?

Hi guys, I have a laptop and i am using Netgear Rangemax Next WN511B 270Mbps 802.11n Wireless LAN CardBus PCMCI Adapter, which supports Wireless N. Now i can achieve High speed with this laptop when i'm on windows, but while on ubuntu i get the native slow speed. Can anyone explain me whats wrong? Is there Support for Wireless N in Ubuntu? Please help guys...

Re: Support for Wireless N in Ubuntu?

It depends on your drivers. Do you have the drivers for your hardware which support ubuntu? Or you are using ndiswrapper? Is it hard to tell if wireless N speed can be achieved on your laptop. Have you selected the speed manually? Or the driver auto configured the connection speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra.J View Post
    It depends on your drivers. Do you have the drivers for your hardware which support ubuntu? Or you are using ndiswrapper? Is it hard to tell if wireless N speed can be achieved on your laptop. Have you selected the speed manually? Or the driver auto configured the connection speed?
    I have not installed the driver for my wireless card. I just plugged the card in my lappy and turned it on. Ubuntu booted and took it on its own. I did not do any kind of configuration. I didn't even select the speed, it was also configured by Ubuntu i guess. So what could be done in such case? Please guide me...

Try configuring the wireless speed manually and see if it works, as not all drivers take the best speed configuration automatically. For configuring the speed manually, you must first check what the current speed is. Open the terminal and type the following command :
    Code:
    iwconfig
    To change the speed type :
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig interface-name rate ***M
    In the above command, replace *** with the speed you want to set. If this doesn't work, change back the speed to its original one.