Thread: Downloaded packages of installation on ubuntu

Downloaded packages of installation on ubuntu

I have a linux computer with Ubuntu 9.04 running. There are times when i format my system to try new OS and stuffs like that. I have a problem, with everytime i get back to ubuntu, i have to download and install all the packages. When we apt-get and application or software, these packages must be getting downloaded on the computer, Where can i locate Downloaded packages of installation on ubuntu? Please help... I don't want to download and wait everytime i install ubuntu? Please help...

Re: Downloaded packages of installation on ubuntu

Everytime you install your ubuntu you have to install the software that you need. The software packages which you install from within ubuntu using apt-get, gets archived in the local archived directory : /var/cache/apt/archives. You can take backup of these backup and use this directly to install the packages when you have a clean installation. You don't need to paste these package files in the same folder again...

Hey, Thanks a lot mate, Thats what i needed. I have one more question, When i have taken backup of these packages on another drive, can i delete the packages from this local archive folder? As deleting them may free some additional space. Is it safe to do it? If yes, how can i delete it systematically? I just don't want to screw the operating system. Is it possible? Thanks again and in advance for the next reply...

Yup, you can delete those applications without any problem. Well you can delete it directly from the folder or if you want to add the entry in the system that those files are deleted or needs to be deleted [a systematical way] you can do it by issuing any of the following commands in terminal :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    OR

Code:
    sudo aptitude clean
    Have fun...