Thread: Install IE in Ubuntu

Install IE in Ubuntu

I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 and fell in love with the GUI. I have a problem though, There are some university websites that require internet explorer to view them properly and some site will open only in internet explorer. This is the only problem i am having. How do i Install IE in Ubuntu 9.04? Can anyone help me with it? Thanks in advance...

Dr. V Guest

Re: Install IE in Ubuntu

Well, yes you can install almost any windows software in linux with the help of a package known as wine. Here is a tutorial on wine : Wine Installation on Ubuntu 8.10
    Once wine is installed, install the Internet Explorer just the way you install any software on windows. You will need IE standalone setup package. Hope this helps... All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by KDE_RuLeZ View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 and fell in love with the GUI. I have a problem though, There are some university websites that require internet explorer to view them properly and some site will open only in internet explorer. This is the only problem i am having. How do i Install IE in Ubuntu 9.04? Can anyone help me with it? Thanks in advance...
    Some sites say they require Internet Explorer to be viewed properly, but there are many sites which say this but can be viewed perfectly with any browser. This is just a sort of advertisement. Some sites really require Internet Explorer like the website of mumbai university. Because sites like these use Active X which is supported under IE and it is not used by any other browser as it has a number of security loop holes. Try surfing those sites with firefox. It may work...

With firefox you can use these two plugins :

IE Tab - an extension from Taiwan, features: Embedding Internet Explorer in tabs of Mozilla/Firefox
    Download

Coral IE Tab - An enhanced version of IE Tab which enables you to use the embedded IE engine within tabs of Mozilla Firefox. It supports Adblock Plus in IE, and can sync cookies between IE and Firefox.
    Download