Thread: How to add XP to 7 Boot Manager

How to add XP to 7 Boot Manager

Hi friends,

I have recently bought Seagate 750gb HDD with me and in that i have made four partition in first one i have installed XP 32, on the second one I installed XP 64 on the third one i have install Windows 7 and the last one i have kept for storing data. Now i wan to install RTM so i have uninstalled the 7 bootloader using EasyBCD. Then, I installed 7 RTM on the same partition RC was on and then the XP entries disappeared. I would like to add XP 32 and XP 64 to the boot manager. I tried what people have suggested here with no luck. When I choose XP in the boot options, I get an error saying that the boot.ini file is missing and the NTDETECT failed.

I would really appreciate your help.

Add Windows XP to Windows 7 Boot Manager

if you want to add Windows XP to Windows 7 boot manager then i would suggest you to click on start and type cmd in Run option and press enter then command prompt window would get open. Over here type the following to create a boot loader for Windows XP bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP. Then type the following thing to set the device to where Windows XP is installed. I used D: in this example. Replace it with the drive letter of your XP installation bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:. For setting the path you need to type the following code bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr. Type the following to add this boot loader to the boot up screen. bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast. Finally reboot your computer for changes to get effected.

How to add XP to 7 Boot Manager

There is one more way of adding Windows XP to Windows 7 boot manager for that you need to have the latest version of EasyBCD 2.0 build 63 and after installing it i would suggest you to add the Windows XP entry and the software would take care of the needed files for you.