Thread: Windows XP - Missing Log Off and Shut Down Buttons

Windows XP - Missing Log Off and Shut Down Buttons

Hi Everyone,

I have a very interesting, persistent and annoying problem. In my administrator account in 'XP' I am missing the log off and shut down buttons, they are in all other user account except the "admin" account. I cannot open task manager and shut down that way either, I do get a message that states to the effect that "I do not have priveledges to proceed and that I should contact my system administrator" Slightly annoying since that's me. I have searched through the MS knowledge base and can't find any resolutions to the problem. Can anyone help me find an answer to this really drive me up the wall problem.

P.S. I am going to be 49 years in a little over 9 hours as of this post, but I have decided to be 39 years, "Hey" If Burt Renolds can do it, why can't I!!!

Thanks All, for any help you can provide.

Re: Windows XP - Missing Log Off and Shut Down Buttons

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Raiz,

I tried the first article you suggested and got nowhere following that one:

"Read this microsoft help : Shutdown" option missing from the Start Menu and Ctrl+Alt+Del dialog box"

However, the second thread between Dave Patrick and Matt, "Shutdown & Restart Buttons Missing", did work, but with a bit of a twist on it, where Matt's solution came through the HOTKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry entry, as Matt was missing buttons in all user accounts so the "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoClose" worked for all of his user accounts.

My problem was only in one account (Administrator) so the HOTKEY_CURRENT_USER registry entry, "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoClose and \StartMenuLogoff," worked to solve my problem.

Then I noticed I had "ClearRecentDocsOnExit" enabled along with NoDesktop, NoFileMenu, NoThemeTab, NoViewContextMenu. After this I checked "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" and found not only the Task Manager disabled, but also the Display Setting Dialog and all of the subsequent tabs under Display Setting were all disabled as well.

I ran mainframe computers, that were not as smart as my watch, for three years until 1986 and I have used Windows since release 3.0 and every release between then and now and I have never seen anything so bizarre happen at any time in all these years.

OK, you have been patient to read so far, so here is the Last Word, so to speak! WHAT!, in the Firey Depths of Hades turned all of these polices off at one time and in one "User Account" only?

Signed Baffled to H___!!!

Tim

P.S. Thanks Raiz, for getting me started with your suggestions of Posts to review, they helped me find the first answer, which was the most important one, I really appreciate your help!!!!

This may be a virus which disables these options. You were lucky enough that it didn't turn off registry editor and task manager. Also this could be a work of some of your college or someone who has administrative rights for using your computer...

I have Norton Internet Security running on my network, but I think something may have piggy-backed in to my system. I am the only person with "Admin Rights" on the system so that was not it. A few days before I started getting this constant request from my main machine to reboot because of a security threat, evertime I rebooted, same message!!! Oh Yeah, My task manager was disabled at the time, so my only way out was to do a hard or soft boot.

After a while of getting no where I started looking around Norton and on my network security map I found a strange entry in my access group, It was listed as a "Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface" and had multiple IP/MAC addresses. when I found this I checked on Nortons site and tried a few of their solutions none of which worked, except to do an uninstall/reinstall, this one did solve the problem.

When I logged back in as the Administrator I was still missing everything else but did have access to the the recovery dialog box ( app crash, enter Ctrl+Alt+Del) but the task manager was still greyed out.

After reading the posts that Raiz gave me I was able to resolve all of the tampered Registry Policy Entries, which were about 10 or 12, it was easy once I had a starting point from which to work. I would really have been screwed if it had disabled Regedit, lucky it missed that one ore I might have needed to do a complete reintall of windows, which would have been a royal pain in the a__!!!

So does anyone no what a "Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface" is?

Tim

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface is used in the areas where there is not IPv6 network environment. This interface tunnels the IPv6 network traffic over IPv4 network... Its not required though, you can uninstall it. You can also uninstall IPv6 if you have any network drop outs...