Thread: Running Multiple Instance of single application on Mac OS

Running Multiple Instance of single application on Mac OS

I need help with Running Multiple Instance of single application on Mac OS. Suppose I am running iChat which has my accounts, can i run another instance of the same application with other user accounts at a same time? Please help... Sometimes i have to share my mac with my brother and we use our chat accounts, but adding and removing each accounts all the time is very frustrating... Please help....

Re: Running Multiple Instance of single application on Mac OS

You can create two user accounts for each of you. Now in each user account use iChat to configure your IM accounts and save it. Both accounts will have its different prefrences as the user account itself is different, Now use your account when you want to use the IM and let your brother switch to his account when he wants to use the same. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by FaMe FacToR View Post
    You can create two user accounts for each of you. Now in each user account use iChat to configure your IM accounts and save it. Both accounts will have its different prefrences as the user account itself is different, Now use your account when you want to use the IM and let your brother switch to his account when he wants to use the same. Hope this helps...
    Well that would do, but not in my case. The problem is we have to use our own accounts at the same time. This happens often And i can't keep both our accounts together saved as there are some people who are from our offices in both of ours account and that cannot be a good idea... Any other workaround? Please help...

Ok, you can do this, Save all your User account settings and do not allow the iChat application to save passwords for all accounts. The accounts which you feel are confidential and should not be accessed by anyone else but you, you can always keep the settings to ask you for password to access it... This would be better easy and safe to use...

You can run multiple instance of one application by typing the following code in [Command Line Interface] terminal :
    Code:
    open -na /Applications/<application-name>.app
    For Example :
    Code:
    open -na /Applications/iChat.app
    But i dont knw if this would work for all the applications... Try it out, no harm in trying it...

You can try using Peek-o-Matic. Its a free open source software that allows you to run multiple instances of a single application on your Mac OS X. Download Peek-o-Matic from here.

You can also use Launch As User which will run the application as a different user, here you will need to create a new user but can use any one for running multiple instance of a single software on any one user account. Download Lauch As User from here.