Thread: Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 final upgrade possible?

Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 final upgrade possible?

As i have mentioned in my title, my question is it possible to upgrade windows 7 RC to windows 7 final? Will Microsoft provide this upgrade? I know there is long time remaining in limit of Windows 7 RC . Doesn anyone know the difference between Windows 7 RC and the final version to be released?

Thank you ...

Re: Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 final upgrade possible?

I don't think so there will be rc to windows 7 final upgrade, and if there would be i don't think so it worht to buy . Because as you that RC will expire in 2010 june and after that its upgrade install would be of no use. As it is RC is free to use, micrpsoft won't allow to all use windows 7 final on cheap price, means if there would be any rc to final upgrade , it would not be of less price.

Note from Microsoft:

Please note: All users of the Windows 7 Release Candidate (including Windows Vista users who have upgraded to the Release Candidate) must do a clean installation of Windows 7 RTM. Please keep this is mind as you consider downloading the Release Candidate as opposed to waiting for the general availability release.
    So its clear that you'll have to purchase WIndows 7 RTM and will have to perform a clean install.

Microsoft has recently confirmed that will allow upgrade to pre-RTM versions of Windows 7 with a Windows 7 final edition. But it will have few limits, like no data will be taken over. The installation will move the old data into the folder windows.old from where the files are accessible. Most programs on the other hand will not work unless they are portable.

It also has to be noted that a clean install at a later time requires a Windows XP or Windows Vista installation (or a new installation of a pre-RTM build of Windows 7). If you are running the Windows 7 RC you can buy a Windows 7 Upgrade to install Windows 7 final on your computer system without needing Windows XP or Windows Vista during the first installation.

JessicaD Guest

Gaipal,

You will not be able to go from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 general release as you will need a retail edition of Windows Vista or Windows XP to perform an upgrade install. If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today.

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
    Last edited by abhishek; 27-08-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: External Link remove

The final release is not yet in the market. But Microsoft has launched Windows 7 RTM version. You can first upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM. And then after that it is possible to get the final version on your system. Otherwise wait for the final version to come and perform a clean installation for the same by formatting you system completely.