Thread: SBS 2008 small business server 2008 folder redirection and security permissions

SBS 2008 small business server 2008 folder redirection and security permissions

Hi I have set up folder redirection it was seemingly very easy with the wizards etc. However I realised that it was not as simple as it first looked.

I see that there are access denied problems on some users.

I have a problem right now with one specific user on a workstation.

When they log in the folders were created in the correct redirected Folders folder on the server.

New folders were created, desktop, my documents.
    The problem is that the user gets access denied on any subfolders it tries to create within my documents, so it gives an error.
    So desktop, my documents root files are all ok but

when it tries to make

my documents/admin/ the admin folder has the wrong permissions as default.

I have been playing around and trying to assign myself access also, so took ownership.

I tried to give ownership to the administrators group, but I cannot find the administrators group and cannot add my sbsadmin account to be part of the administrators group.

Re: SBS 2008 small business server 2008 folder redirection and security permissions

Folder redirection is used to centrally store user documents on a network location that is otherwise found only on your client machine. In SBS environment, administrators use the folder redirection as a convenient way to store this information on the server to be included in the normal rotation of SBS backup. Both SBS 2003 and SBS 2008 uses Group Policy to do this, however, they differ considerably in their method. While linking a SBS 2003 Folder Redirection GPO in the domain level and applies to all authenticated users, SBS 2008 GPO link your Organization Unit SBSUsers includes only specific users are assigned through the SBS console.