Thread: gcc on damn small linux

gcc on damn small linux

Hi, i have some programming assignments from my office and i need to compile some c files. I have managed to get a copy of damn small linux. I need a c compiler so that c files can be compiled an run, but i dont have any c compiler for linux operating system. My friend told me to install gcc. But i don't know what it is or where can i get it. Can anyone here help on with getting gcc on damn small linux? and what is gcc? Please help guys...

Re: gcc on damn small linux

The GNU Compiler Collection (usually shortened to GCC) is a compiler system produced by the GNU Project supporting various programming languages. GCC is a key component of the GNU toolchain. As well as being the official compiler of the GNU operating system, GCC has been adopted as the standard compiler by most other modern Unix-like computer operating systems, including GNU/Linux, the BSD family and Mac OS X. GCC has been ported to a wide variety of processor architectures, and is widely deployed as a tool in commercial, proprietary and closed source software development environments. GCC is also available for most embedded platforms, for example Symbian, AMCC and Freescale Power Architecture-based chips. The compiler can target a wide variety of platforms, including videogame consoles such as the Playstation 2 and Sega Dreamcast.Several companies make a business out of supplying and supporting gcc ports to various platforms, and chip manufacturers today consider a GCC port almost essential to the success of an architecture. Originally named the GNU C Compiler, because it only handled the C programming language, GCC 1.0 was released in 1987, and the compiler was extended to compile C++ in December of that year. Front ends were later developed for Fortran, Pascal, Objective-C, Java, and Ada, among others.

Thanks for the information. Gcc is a compiler collection for all the basic compiler packages right? So from where should i download it? Also how to i install it on my computer with DSL, will DSL support gcc compiler? Will it work properly? I'm confused... So please help guys... Thanks in advance...

Download the latest version of gcc from gcc's official mirrors. See this site and select mirror of your choice to download it :
    http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html
    Hope this helps... All the best! And if any further problem do post back...