Thread: Important data on Crashed Computer

Important data on Crashed Computer

Since yesterday my windows is active weird finally today it crashed and ended up without starting. I inserted Windows XP CD into my drive then I did a reboot to boot from CD and re-install Windows again i got a bluescreen. Reboot again and then again got a blue screen. I tried everything i could: Load-windows cd and Press R to repair, I end up in command mode prompted to enter the exit command to restart the computer. Install windows on another partition to save data, Windows installation insists on Formatting C: although I want to install on D:. I want my data from C: that is the reason i don't want to format my C:. Any way to recover Important data on Crashed Computer of mine? Please help...

Re: Important data on Crashed Computer

Have a look at this link : Retrieve Data Off a Crashed Hard Drive May be this could help, The only way i think of recovering the data is to connect it to another computer and then copy/recover data to the host computer. When your computer is fixed, copy the data back... I hope this helps you...

Quote Originally Posted by Patio View Post
    Have a look at this link : Retrieve Data Off a Crashed Hard Drive May be this could help, The only way i think of recovering the data is to connect it to another computer and then copy/recover data to the host computer. When your computer is fixed, copy the data back... I hope this helps you...
    I have recently moved to a different city. Here i don't have any friend except my computer, i am using this cyber cafe to post the queries. Please help. Also Is there a way i can use the same hard disk and install Windows on it without formatting any drive? I need some data from C: drive. windows cannot be installed on C and when trying to install on D it tells me that it needs to format C. Please help...

You can do this, Get a Ubuntu CD, Boot from Ubuntu and keep your hard disk connected to the computer, Select Try Ubuntu without changing Computer Configuration. Now when the Live environment loads, Mount both partitions and copy your data from C:\ to D:\ then reboot and use Windows XP CD and format your C:\ and install windows in C:\ drive itself. It will work...

Yes, You can try Ubuntu Live CD, also you can copy the data from your C:\ to your flash drive if you have one. Flash drive will be a better choice, as you can then format the entire hard disk and make appropriate changes to the partition. I hope this adds a bit with the help... If you have any more trouble, do post back...

Thank you guys, i will try that out. It seems i will have to be in the cyber cafe for 3 more hours so that i can download Ubuntu's ISO image. I will post back if i encounter any problem. Thanks again guys...