Thread: No Free space problem on solaris cannot delete file

No Free space problem on solaris cannot delete file

I have No Free space problem on solaris cannot delete file. Due to this i'm really very frustrated and don't know what to do... I know i can delete some files and free some space, but i cannot delete files as when i try doing it, i get an error saying "Disc quota exceeded". What can i do? If i do not delete some files, how could i free any space on the disk, this is a very frustrating problem. Please help me...

Re: No Free space problem on solaris cannot delete file

Your account has disk quota management implented and its limited, ask your root user or administrator to remove the disk quota so that you can delete some files and free space and then if necessary apply the quota limits upon your account... This problem is due to the quota that was assigned to you has been exceeded and you need permission from root to delete the files or perform and disk related tasks that is related to disk size as you have already exceeded that limit given to you...

Solaris uses ZFS file system and this is a common problem with ZFS file system. Ok if the problem is related to your disk quota you need to talk to the administrator. If you are the root and the machine is a standalone machine, you must delete files as root or you can remove disk quota from your account which must be again done as root. But if the disk quota isn't a problem, then its a problem with ZFS file system. This problem occurs when your disk becomes 100% full, at this point you cannot move or delete any files... Before you try anything, make sure you have backed up your system.

Yes, thats correct. Once the ZFS file system disk becomes 100% full this problem is definite to happen. Well in this case all you could do is remove your disk quota if implemented, but if there is no quota assigned, then you must remove some snapshots that could make some room so that you can delete files or mave files to other locations.