Thread: What is wmiprvse.exe

What is wmiprvse.exe

I often see a process called wmiprvse.exe running in the background and some times it takes 100% CPU power. I am having Windows Xp. I can see it whenever i start the machine and sits in memory eating all my computer resources. I guess it might be a Virus but my antivirus is not able to detect it. Could you guys please make me know what is wmiprvse.exe ?

Re: What is wmiprvse.exe

wmiprvse.exe is Windows Management Instrumentation that is a component of the Microsoft Windows operating system that provides management information and control in an enterprise environment.wmiprvse.exe was primarily introduced in Windows XP platform, and later on in Windows 2003 platform.Developers use the wmiprvse.exe file in order to develop applications used for monitoring purposes. These programs can notify users about important events related to network and file or application management right after each event occurs. Usually it is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows\System32 or sometimes in a subfolder of C:\Windows - normally C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\. The Process Server database currently registers wmiprvse.exe to Microsoft. This is part of Microsoft Windows.

The wmiprvse.exe file is placed with other services in the shared service host. By using industry standards, managers can use WMI to query and set information on desktop systems, applications, networks and other enterprise components. Developers can use WMI to create event monitoring applications that alert users when important incidents occur. With wmiprvse.exe, file managers in the enterprise environment are capable of configuring and searching for desktop system information or network and application information across the network.

wmiprvse.exe was developed to discard of prior concerns of failure of WMI provider service in Windows 2000 platform where failure of a single WMI would cause total failure of all other WMI services.Multiple instances of Wmiprvse.exe can run at the same time under different accounts: LocalSystem, NetworkService or LocalService.This started to be applied with the release of MS Windows XP. Providers are also loaded separately in the wmiprvse.exe file since it considers the wmiprvse.exe executable as a host process.However, removing Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) may adversly impact your system.