Thread: Where to search Windows log file in XP

Where to search Windows log file in XP

I am using Windows XP which is giving me some problems from last 2 days. That errors not so important at the time, i can solve them easily. But for that i need Windows Log files which i am unable to search on my system. Could you guys please let me know how can i see Windows log file? Thanks in advance.

Re: Where to search Windows log file in XP

In Windows XP, an event is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified, or an entry added to a log. These log files can be extremely useful in troubleshooting errors and ensuring system security.Some Windows log files, such as the Security Event Log, are only able to be read by a Windows Administrator.To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:-

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
    • In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

Dr. V Guest

The Windows application, security and system log files can be read with the "Event Viewer", which is accessed through the Control Panel. To view the details of an event, follow these steps:-

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
    • In the console tree, expand Event Viewer, and then click the log that contains the event that you want to view.
    • In the details pane, double-click the event that you want to view.

The Event Log Service records application, security, and system events in Event Viewer. With the event logs in Event Viewer, you can obtain information about your hardware, software, and system components, and monitor security events on a local or remote computer. Event logs can help you identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help you predict potential system problems.

The Event Properties dialog box containing header information and a description of the event is displayed.

To copy the details of the event, click the Copy button, then open a new document in the program in which you want to paste the event (for example, Microsoft Word), and then click Paste on the Edit menu.