Thread: Access denied to "C:" drive in command prompt

zakir Guest

Access denied to "C:" drive in command prompt

Hello friends,

I Do have some troubles with my computer.Whenever I open my command prompt, it looks like this :Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600](C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence Oliver> Now when I use the "cd.." command, vist my "C" drive , I only get this:C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence Oliver>cd..C:\Documents and Settings>.Now when I use this command , "cd>C:" , to get to my "C" drive , I get a "access is denied".C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence Oliver>cd>C:Access is denied.C:\Documents and Settings> What could be causing this ? Software , such as new anti virus software ? Or do I have a virus ? Or something else?

helps appreciated

Re: Access denied to "C:" drive in command prompt

Confirm that you are logged on as a user with administrative rights. If you are the only user on the computer then you have these rights when logging on. See if you can change the permissions on your drive.Right click the C:\ drive and select properties. Go to the Security tab.There you could see a list of groups and user names in the first box. Select Administrators. Make sure that it is given full control. There should be a lot of check marks in the second box. If it is not selected then click on the edit button.choose the administrators again and select the full control check box. hit enter Click ok on the C:\ drives properties.

Can you try things out firstly type "cd /?" to find out how to use the command. If unsure of a command's usage, always try typing it followed by a space and "/?". Do this carefully, too, to the exact punctuation and use of spaces as it can create a big difference. To get from where your command prompt opens to the root of your C:\-drive(or indeed from anywhere on your C:\-drive to the root), just type cd c:\

I would like to ask you one question Have you attempted a system restore prior to this?.Which is your anti virus software I do not recommend McAfee or Norton be installed on home computers, I would uninstall McAfee go to their site and use their uninstaller use AVG Free and turn on the windows firewall. There is a way to reset security on XP and Vista to the defaults go to start all Programs accessories and right click on command prompt select run as administrator at the prompt type