Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

windows xp - system update readiness tool

Operating Systems

Old 12-08-2009

Hi,

I have heard from my friend about this tool. But I am not sure about the purpose of this tool. If you guys can shed some light on this topic?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2009

Re: windows xp - system update readiness tool

Well as far as I know its a tool from Microsoft for Vista & Windows 7.

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 Release Candidate for x64-based Systems (KB947821)

This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software. This tool checks your computer for such inconsistencies and tries to resolve issues if found. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows 7 Prerelease License Terms.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2009

Re: windows xp - system update readiness tool

After you download the System Update Readiness Tool, it runs a onetime scan for inconsistencies that might prevent future servicing operations. This scan typically takes less than 15 minutes to run. However, the tool might take significantly longer on some computers. The Windows Update progress bar is not updated during the scan, and progress seems to stop at 60% complete for some time. This behavior is expected. The scan is still running and you should not cancel the update.

The System Update Readiness Tool is available from the Windows Update Web site. To obtain this update, follow these steps:

1. Click Start click Control Panel, and then click Security.
2. Under Windows Update, click Check for updates.

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies might be caused by various hardware failures or might be caused by software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies.

What does the System Update Readiness Tool do?

The System Update Readiness Tool verifies the integrity of the following resources:

* Files that are located under the following directories:
o %SYSTEMROOT%\Servicing\Packages
o %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSxS\Manifests
* Registry data that is located under the following registry subkeys:
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Schema
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,