Thread: Tar Backup of hidden folders

Tar Backup of hidden folders

I have a problem. I had some important and private data on my computer. I installed Linux on the first partition overwriting Windows. After some time i wanted to clean install the computer with dedicating the older hard disk for the OS, boot partition and swap files. And saving the backup on the new hard disks. I used Tar to Backup of hidden folders. I then moved the tared files to my new disk. When i was done with the setup, i untar those backup files just to find that all my hidden folders were gone. I tried to check the untar folder from Windows but i could not find my hidden folders. What may be wrong? Please help me...

Re: Tar Backup of hidden folders

Can you post the names of such folders? Or can you tell me if the folder names started with " ." [dot]? Or any symbol in the starting? What exactly where these folders? Were these linux folders? or were these linux folders? I mean which OS did you use create these folder? May be this could help...

Hey, thanks for your swift reply. These were some files that were created on Linux OS itself, but i then transfered these folders to windows as it had some images. This folders were named linke .unix, .index, .images, .wine, etc... All had "." at the start. Does this create a problem? Please help... I'm screwed, i have lost all my images that i have collected since 5 years...

Try to update your Operating system and tar package, This was a problem / bug with tar that i had faced when i had linux on my old box around 3 years ago. But i don't think i have even used tar since then. I don't remember if it had a fix...