Thread: When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

Hi,

When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

Is it correct? What can I do if I don't want to loose my songs downloaded. I want to do a system restore.

Please help me.

Re: When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

Yes, every data and every file is deleted when you do a system restore. The System Restore works as follows :
    You have some data and some settings on your computer at time 1. You delete some data and add new data at time 2. When you do a system restore to time 1, the data that is deleted after time one will come back, and the data that has been added after time 1 will be lost. The computer's data and configuration will come back to the stage when it was at time 1. Hope this helps...

Re: When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

Hello Searching..

Welcome to TechArena community forums.

I hope you will enjoy your stay on the forum.

About your question its a simple question but i can understand how painful is when you loos the songs that you download gets lost. The good news for you is you restore your system to any old restore point your files never gets deleted. only machine software configuration including drivers & all gets changed to the restore point you have choose.
    So don't worry & restore your system without worrying for your songs. But to be at a safer side i would suggest you to take backup of the required data on DVD or CD as possible.
    IF YOU CAN'T Convince THEM ...

CONFUSE THEM ...

Hey please go through these links:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...w_03may19.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

The point of System Restore is to restore your system to a workable state without you having to reinstall the operating system and lose your data files in the process.

Features restored during System Restore.

• Windows Registry
    • Local Profiles
    • COM+ DB
    • WFP.dll cache
    • WMI DB
    • IIS Metabase

Following things do not get affected by System restore

• DRM settings
    • Passwords in the SAM hive
    • WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
    • Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK e.g. 'My Documents' folder.
    • Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files (e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.)
    • Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (HKLM\System\Controlset001\Control\Backuprestore\Filesnottobackup and Keysnottorestore) in the registry.
    • User-created data stored in the user profile
    • Contents of redirected folders

question Re: When you use system restore does music downloaded during period after restore point get deleted?

I've read all of this and I would like to believe this. However, after my vista computer decided to quit starting up (no new programs, no new anything) I ran a system restore. Now, over 500 albums loaded into a folder previously accessed by iTunes on my D: drive are gone. Poof. They are no where to be found. Now my recycle bin is "corrupted", so I can't even see if they somehow magically ended up in there.

It took my husband over a month to load all of his music into the previous computer and two days to transfer it over the network to this new one last Christmas. We are devastated.

If system restore didn't cause this, what else could have? All other files still exist. (Start Up now takes about 15 minutes, but we'll deal with that later.)

Lex87 Guest

You should be able to do a system restore without loosing any music. I say should..... My advice is if you can back every thing up just to be safe. Also check your settings when doing the restore.

It's tough to loose everything! I know I've been there!!

Good luck
    Lexy