Thread: open source router firmware

open source router firmware

Hi guys, i want to know if i can install open source firmware in my netgear router? Is there any open source firware available? I want to install open source firmware so that i can pull out all the limitations that i have in this default firmware. Please help me. I hope i get proper guidance... Thanks!

Re: open source router firmware

What is your router's model number? Well netgear router's are supported by open-wrt which is open source firmwares for routers. If you could post you model number may be i could help you. Also you must understand that this involves risk and installing non standard firmware may void your warranty. So while doing this be very careful, and always take backup of your firmware in case something goes wrong...

My netgear router is netgear WGR614. I don't have to worry about the warranty as its already too old. And i have a 108M router that i use, i am trying this open source firmware in this old router which is just lying in a corner. So instead of wasting it i want to experiment on it... Does my router support open source firmware? Please help guys...

OpenWrt is described as a Linux distribution for embedded devices.

Instead of trying to create a single, static firmware, OpenWrt provides a fully writable filesystem with package management. This frees you from the application selection and configuration provided by the vendor and allows you to customize the device through the use of packages to suit any application. For developer, OpenWrt is the framework to build an application without having to build a complete firmware around it; for users this means the ability for full customization, to use the device in ways never envisioned.

Download the appropriate version from here : OpenWRT