Thread: Perform slackware kernel upgrade

Perform slackware kernel upgrade

How to perform slackware kernel upgrade? I have an older version of slackware and i want to update the slackware's kernel. Is is possible to update only the kernel without updating all the softwares? I have a complete computer and i have the software which are in its most stable form. I am afraid that updtaing softwares may make it unstable and/or change its gui. Please guide me if this is possible...

Re: Perform slackware kernel upgrade

Download the latest kernel sources from http://www.kernel.org and compile it in the existing slackware linux. This way your existing kernel will be updated and the new kernel will be functioning. But i recommend updating the entire OS and not just kernel...

Upgrading the linux kernel alone is not possible. As this may make some applications unstable and unusable. Well the softwares are dependent on kernel for proper functioning so the kernel alone cannot be practically upgraded. But if you still want you can try it compiling on your system, but make sure you take proper backup, as there is a chance of your system crashing and you may have to install the OS all over again...

The best and the most simple thing you can do is, go to the slackware website and checkout which is the most recent version of slackware available, check out its features, [ackages included, if it fits your requirement, go for it else stick with your current version. Updates of all the softwares are released to add features and stabilizes it, there is only a few times when update goes wrong...