Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009

linux applications for windows

Hi, I'm new to linux. I want to know if there are any software that are originally for linux but are ported to run on windows? Are linux applications for windows too? I have tried many linux distributions but not too much familar so everytime i screw up my data while installing linux, So i want to try linux application on windows itself and if possible, it should run natively... Is this possible? Please help guys...
Old 10-08-2009

Re: linux applications for windows

Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts:
  • A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
  • A collection of tools which provide Linux look and feel.

The Cygwin DLL currently works with all recent, commercially released x86 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows

Download
Old 10-08-2009

Try Ulteo Virtual Desktop. Enjoy the power of your Linux applications on Windows without the need to reboot. With Ulteo Virtual Desktop, you just have to run the application you need to use from the Ulteo panel and its window will show up like any other Windows application. Ulteo Virtual Desktop is free.
Download
Old 10-08-2009

Thanks for the swift replies.. I will try them both and give you my feedbacks. Thanks again. If i face any problem, i will post back..

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,