Thread: wininet.dll is not a valid windows image

wininet.dll is not a valid windows image

Hi everyone,

When i was working with my computer last night it sudden went for a restart.After this error I am no longer to access my aim or msn messenger, and when my xp starts, i receive tens of "the application or dll c\windows\system32\wininet.dll is not a valid windows image. please check this against your installation disketter. " error messages.I guess i have some problem with viruses please help me guys

thanks in advance ..!!!

Dr. V Guest

Re: wininet.dll is not a valid windows image

Can you download the win.dll fil.Copy this file from the c:\windows\system32 directory of a working Win XP Pro or Win Vista computer onto a flashdrive, then use the following procedure to copy it onto the failing system.Choose 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt at the boot.In the command prompt window, type the letter of your flash drive either d: or e: until the drive appears as e:> in the prompt window.Type 'dir' to see the wininet.dll file on that flashdrive.type 'copy wininet.dll c:\windows\system32'. Unplug the flashdrive and reboot PC.Once you succeed in reviving the failed computer, go to c:\windows\system32 and right click on the wininet.dll file then copy and paste it to a save name . This allows direct copy of that file back into wininet.dll if the problem reoccurs.It is suspected that an anitvirus engine or some other application deleted this file. If it occurs again, make note of what was being performed, immediately prior to the failure

I would suggest you to perform a System Restore.If that has no help get HijackThis application. Make a folder at C:\HJT and shift HijackThis.exe there. Run a scan and save the log file. Post the whole log file here. Do not fix anything since most of them listed there are harmless . This program will help us determine if there is any spyware/malware on your computer.So that we can able to give you help

You have to deal with malware first before we deal with any other issues. Because as long as malware is present, we can't properly cure everything else as well.Is your wininet.dll still infected? Some important remarks here though.I notice that you do not seem to be running Antivirus software and a Firewall. This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world.That's why I want you to install them first.AVG, Avira OR Avast are good free antivirus.Never install more than one anti virus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously.Zonealarm, Agnitum Outpost Free OR Kerio are FREE firewalls.