Thread: Why does scanreg not working in Win XP?

Why does scanreg not working in Win XP?

Hello to all,

For scanning the Registry Editor, I prefer the scanreg command at the dos prompts and everything runs fine. That is in my Windows 9x/Me computers. The other day I tried the scanreg tool in my Win XP notebook only to be told it was an invalid or unrecognizable command. Scanreg is a simple and effective tool to manage the Registry, is it restricted only to Win 9x/Me? Where is its equivalent in Win 2000 or Win XP?

any thoughts guys ??
    thanks anyway

Re: Why does scanreg not working in Win XP?

May be you can attempt to troubleshoot using this symbol steps "sfc /scannow" with the xp cd loaded, if you can bootup at least in safe
    mode a "repair install" - start like a new install, with the same cd and serial handy. It should find your recent install and offer to repair it on the 2nd screen. If it won't, your registry is b0rked or some vital files are missing.You may still be able to restore recent registry backup copies at that time,best by use of a liveCD like winPE and digging the latest restore point under "system volume information", afterwards retry a safe-mode boot or the repair install.

My guess is it is because XP doesn't really have equivalent for registry scan. System Restore is probably closest, and running the system File Checker. A 3rd Party app called erunt can backup the registry.XP takes a backup of your registry automatically every 24 hours (or at the earliest opportunity here after) when the machine is idle. It is called System Restore. It is possible (though not at all straightforward) to extract the saved registry files from the restore points created.

I know if it is not disabled Scanreg, automatically generates five copies of the system.dat and user.dat files for the last 5 successful boots for the last 5 calender days.Scanreg /restore is more like "Last known good configuration" that are created upon successful logins versus boot ups and there is only one; the last one.If you installed the new XP into the same "C:\windows" as before, it simply cleaned out the registry and old restore points.