Thread: How to remove READER_S.EXE

How to remove READER_S.EXE

I am facing an issue with my laptop, i am having McAfee antivirus installed on my laptop during scanning i received a message as READER_S.EXE virus found and status as Failed(Not clean). Can anyone tell me what is READER_S.EXE and how does it effect me and my laptop and how to remove this file.

Re: How to remove READER_S.EXE

READER_S.EXE is a malware and it's very dangerous and unsafe for your laptop or computer, it is also known as Virut Trojan Downloader \ Trojan Backdoor.No you laptop or PC it is normally located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\reader_s.exe. For remove this virus from your computer you can download the file.

Download

To remove READER_S.EXE from your computer, you need to first Disable System Restore, and reboot your PC in Safemode.Now find the READER_S.EXE virus files and uninstall it.Now also delete all the temp files from your computer and type regedit in run option, registry window would get open , now locate the all the registry related to READER_S.EXE and delete them fianlly colse the registry window and reboot your computer or laptop.

Tried many solutions but none worked.

This is a very well written virus and is impossible to destroy or remove from a machine.

This is a very well written virus and is impossible to destroy or remove from a machine. None of the virus scanner I tried removed the virus and left system in working order.

Virus is spread via executing a executable on network drive or pluging in a thumb drive into an infected machine and then pluging same thumb drive into non-infected machine. It even runs in safe mode without networking. It looks like if you run in safe mode and remove virus and reboot that virus is gone, but it comes back as soon as you enable networking.

If you try to delete virus the virus montors this and moves location of executable to another directory. Virus has at least 2 parts. One that runs as part of svchost, and reader_s.exe. It seems there is another part that somehow runs when you plug in network cable even though your hard drive appears clean to virus scanners.

It appears as if microsoft has fixed the second infection route in latest updates for windows xp

vista and windows 7 do not seem to get virus because virus writes to protected area which is not allowed in vista and windows7

Only solution is to backup system, format hard drive and reinstall operating system. Do not execute any restored executables until you run a virus scan like (malwarebytes) on all files restored.

Virus creates an autorun.ini which executes an executable. These are hidden, protected os files so they do not show up normally. Plug thumb drive into mac to see if thumb drive, camera, ipod, etc are infected.

This virus downloads other viruses from internet and causes computer to send spam shutting down your outbound mail server.

some of the virus scanners crashed os so os would not boot.

I hope someone comes up with a solution that does not require reformating hard drive. I had to scan 25 computer and restore os to 4 machines. Total man hours (48)

It is a malware. It is dangerous for your system. The best solution for you is to run a full system scan in safe mode. Keep on trying this till you are not sure that the virus is being deleted from your system. Use a good antivirus like nortorn or kaspersky. Keep it upto date to avoid future attacks.

Tried many solutions but none worked.
    Then it must be time to reformat & install your OS again.

Virus creates an autorun.ini which executes an executable.
    Unless someone examins your system it wont let us know what is wrong. If you have any engineer ask him to have a look.
    OR put a hijackthis report here.

I hope someone comes up with a solution that does not require reformating hard drive. I had to scan 25 computer and restore os to 4 machines. Total man hours (48)
    If nothing pays you then you have to spend your 48 hrs.

Exclamation "Laptop OR" Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by ThoMas321 View Post
    READER_S.EXE is a malware and it's very dangerous and unsafe for your laptop or computer....

Huh, ThoMas, "laptop OR computer"? Uhh, buddy, a "laptop" (laptop computer) IS a computer.

Ya meant "desktop or laptop computer."

READER_S.EXE is virus which is also known as Cloaked Malware and harmful for both laptop and desktop computer also so you can use that given application for laptop also.....or check this Prevention against spyware and viruses

My Point, Actually, Was...

Yeah, I'm aware that the difference between laptop computers and desktop computers would play no role on how badly that malware could affect them. That wasn't my point.

My point was simply that he said "laptop or computer," which errantly implies that "laptop (computers) aren't computers," even though they actually are, hence the better phrasing like, "laptop or DESKTOP computers."

Re: My Point, Actually, Was...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxFordham View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware that the difference between laptop computers and desktop computers would play no role on how badly that malware could affect them. That wasn't my point.

My point was simply that he said "laptop or computer," which errantly implies that "laptop (computers) aren't computers," even though they actually are, hence the better phrasing like, "laptop or DESKTOP computers."
    Yes exactly, i also agree with you.

Thanks

Thanks, Neel.

Mike