Thread: X server not starting on Fedora 9

X server not starting on Fedora 9

I have a problem with my Fedora 9. I switched off the computer yesterday night and when in the morning i switched on the computer it loaded for some time then threw me to the Command line prompt. The problem is X server not starting on Fedora 9 even if i try to manually start X Server. When i try to manually start X Server from the console, i get an error saying there are no screens... What may be wrong? Please help me...

Re: X server not starting on Fedora 9

Did you install any graphics drivers updates? This may be the effect of non compatible drivers. Which Graphics card do you use? Also what changes did you made that you suspect could be the reason for not loading you into X Server? Post some more detail, may be that could help...

I had Fedora 8 and i updated it with the Fedora 9 preupgrade disc. This is the only thing that i did, other then this i did not change any settings or configuration, i did not install any new hardware and did not remove the existing ones. How can an update kill the drivers? If theres a new driver, then it is supposed to be more stable then the current one... What shall i do? I don't want to loose my data... I have Nvidia Geforce 8400GS graphics card... Please help...

Download Nvidia driver for linux its a .run CLI package. To install this, you will need to shut down the X Server and you can install it from console only. So as you are in console mode it will be no problem for you. Here is the link for nvidia 8 series drivers for Linux :

32-bit Download

64-bit Download