Thread: Raid 1 Setup in windows Xp

Raid 1 Setup in windows Xp

Hello everybody,

I would like to configure a server for a business.Am here with a question,If I purchase a computer already setup, can I plug an extra hard drive from the manufacture in and setup a Raid 1 configuration simply. I'm having issues finding Raid 1 configured models.Any one here to help me..

any ideas should be brilliant..!!

thank you

Re: Raid 1 Setup in windows Xp

Hi, there Did you try it with two of the drives drives in raid 1?you might be having an issue with e depending on how you formatted the drive.Did you configure your SATA controller in the BIOS to RAID instead of IDE?.32-bit XP does not support any disk (or RAID volume) greater than 2TB. XP64 does. Also Vista 64 and Vista 32 will support volumes over 2TB.

You can configure a RAID 1 in Windows, but because Windows will require processing power to handle the RAID,use a hardware RAID. If the motherboard has a RAID IC on the board,alter the settings in the motherboard BIOS to enable the RAID chip and then when you boot, there will be a RAID BIOS screen. With a RAID 1, you should be able to set it up without deleting your data and formatting the drives.alternatively if you don't have a RAID IC onboard, get a PCI or PCIe card that will handle the RAID for you. These cards may not be as fast as motherboard RAID, but they handle the RAID with onboard processing rather than using your computer's RAM. Cards that do RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 are fairly inexpensive, just make sure the card specs say that it supports RAID. When you install the card, connect your hard drives to the card and have your motherboard use the card a the boot drive.You will need to press F6 during the reinstall of Windows to load the drivers for the RAID card. Note: Windows XP SP2 only supports loading RAID drivers from floppy disks or drivers slipstreamed into the install disc.

Get couple of hard drives which are the same size,speed,model.Then you will need to install the pre install raid drivers for xp which either come on a floppy or you can slip stream them into your xp cd using nlite. I suggest you read some raid guides before you attempt anything for more details on setup and running of a raid array.I ordered the system up from the USA instead. I was able to find an XP Pro system with Raid 1 standard. This was for a business that couldn't use Vista. All these manufactures are switching to Vista and removing the XP option and its really making XP Pro hard to find these days, especially with special requirements.